Match Report
Westbrook Hay Preparatory School Boys-U11s vs  Duncombe School
On: Wednesday, 29 Jan 2020
Venue: at Home

On Wednesday 29 January, we hosted Duncombe School. We had two mixed 'A/B' teams who both played the Duncombe side in a triangular fixture.

We started in somewhat unconvincing fashion, a number of old habits coming back to haunt us. There were too many solo 'white-line-fever' runs, no consistent defensive line and not enough low tackles. Despite taking an early lead, we gave Duncombe too much time and space and they duly obliged, taking a 3-2 lead into half time.

However, the boys maintained their composure, remained calm and 'reset' the game. The second half saw a much more clinical performance. We tackled lower, ran straighter and started to let the ball do the hard work. We scored four unanswered tries and ran out deserved 6-3 winners.

There were a number of impressive performances, especially in the 2nd half. Rushil Dhodia impressed with his handling skills. Lutero Corrigan's typically rambunctious aggression lead the team well and set the example. However, man of the match went to William Scott. He was a constant threat with the ball in hand and his ferocious tackling gave the team confidence. He also impressed with his unselfish draw-and-pass handling skills.

On Wednesday 29 January, we hosted Duncombe. We played two mixed 'A/B' teams against the visitors in a triangular competition.

In almost a mirror image of the first game, Westbrook Hay slipped back into bad habits in the first half. There were too many of us thinking we could do it all on our own, rather than setting a deep line and letting the ball do the hard work.

Duncombe had learnt some lessons from the first game and were playing with renewed confidence, shipping the ball wide quickly to their danger men. Our defence held tight though, with some strong and disciplined defending and counter rucking. A tense and closely fought 1st half finished with WBH 2-1 ahead.

We were much more dominant in the 2nd half, controlling possession. One slight criticism might be that we chose to kick too often, where simple draw-and-pass handling would have been just as, if not more, effective.

We were camped on their try line for much of the 2nd half but couldn't convert the pressure into points. That was until a lovely move down the right lead to Josh Whitton muscling his way over in the corner to confirm a 3-1 victory.

There were plenty of encouraging performances, especially from some of the faces new to 'A' team rugby. Josh Whitton was brave in defence and took his chance well to win the game. William Magson always relishes the hard work and made a nuisance of himself in defence and at the breakdown. Harvey Patton backed up last week's impressive outing with more hard line running.

But man of the match went to Drew Butler who put in some crunching tackles and looked a real livewire in attack. Now we need to convince him to swap the round ball for an egg more regularly!